write here about you and your blog

Problems With Verbs (12): Desires

([I] [wish] [that] [you] [had] [called] yesterday)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): you
- (had): had
- (participle): called
- yesterday

([I] [wish] [that] [you] [could have] [called] yesterday.)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): you
- (could have): could have
- (participle): called
- yesterday

([I] [wish] [that] [you] [would have] [called] yesterday.)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): you
- (would have): could have
- (participle): called
- yesterday

Remember that although the verb (WISH) is in present tense, this pattern refers to desires in the past.

([I] [wish] [that] [you] [called] every day.)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): you
- (V[past]): called
- every day

([I] [wish] [that] [you] [could call] tomorrow.)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): you
- (Could verb word): could call
- tomorrow


([I] [wish] [that] [you] [would call] tomorrow.)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): you
- (Would verb word): would call
- tomorrow

Remember that although the verb (WISH) is in present tense, this pattern refers to desires for customs and future events.

Avoid using this pattern to express desires in the past. Avoid using (will) instead of (could) and (would).

Examples:

Incorrect: I wish that I (received) this letter before the office closed for the day.
Correct: I wish that I (had received) this letter before the office closed for the day.

[OR]

Correct: I wish that I (could have received) this letter before the office closed for the day.

[OR]

Correct: I wish that I (would have received) this letter before the office closed for the day.

Incorrect: We wish that you (will change) your mind about leaving tomorrow.
Correct: We wish that you (could change) your mind about leaving tomorrow.

[OR]

Correct: We wish that you (would change) your mind about leaving tomorrow.

Incorrect: Mary wishes that she (has studied) law instead of history when she was in college.
Correct: Mary wishes that she (had studied) law instead of history when she was in college.

[OR]


Correct: Mary wishes that she (could have studied) law instead of history when she was in college.

[OR]


Correct: Mary wishes that she (would have studied) law instead of history when she was in college.

Incorrect: I wish that I (could meet) your father last night.
Correct: I wish that I (had met) your father last night.

[OR]

Correct: I wish that I (could have met) your father last night.

[OR]

Correct: I wish that I (would have met) your father last night.

Incorrect: I wish that the snow (will stop) soon.
Correct: I wish that the snow (would stop) soon.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment