write here about you and your blog

Problems With Verbs (13): Contrary-to-fact Statements.

([If] [the party] [were] on Friday,we could go.)

- (if): If
- (S): the party
- (were): were
- on Friday, we could go.

Avoid changing (were) to agree with the subject in contrary-to-fact statements.

([I] [wish] [that] [the party] [were] on Friday.)

- (S): I
- (WISH[present]): wish
- (that): that
- (S): the party
- (were): were
- on Friday

Avoid changing (were to agree with the subject.


Examples:

Incorrect: If I ( was) you, I would not go.
Correct: If I (were) you, I would not go.

Incorrect: I wish that it (was) true.
Correct: I wish that it (were) true.

Incorrect: Bill wishes that she (is) more interested in his work.
Correct: Bill wishes that she (were) more interested in his work.

Incorrect: If it (is) not so far, we could go for the weekend.
Correct: If it (were) not so far, we could go for the weekend.

Incorrect: I wish that he (was) here.
Correct: I wish that he (were) here.

0 komentar:

Post a Comment